Thursday, March 31, 2011

Pumpkin Roll

Libby's Pumpkin Roll

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/32372/LIBBYS-Pumpkin-Roll/detail.aspx

Experience

I was nervous about putting this recipe together. It seemed complicated with all the rolling of the bread involved, plus I had this recipe once before at a friend's place. It had tasted absolutely amazing, and I didn't want to tarnish the memory of this scrumptious dessert. As I started getting things ready, I realized my roommates and I did not possess any wax paper. After looking over the recipe again, I realized I also needed ground cloves. So a quick trip to the grocery store was in order. Next time, I need to not assume we have things and actually check to see if we do have them. I only had one other problem throughout the process of making the roll. I didn't use enough flour on the baking pan or enough powdered sugar on the kitchen towel so the cake stuck. Thankfully, the cake broke loose fairly easily, so not much damage was acquired. One thing I learned from this experience is what a jelly-roll pan is. It is a cookie sheet with higher edges.

Origins: Pumpkin

Pumpkins come from the Cucurbitacae family. This family also includes cucumbers and various kinds of squashes. The first known pumpkins were from Mexico over 9000 years ago. They were also very much used in Egypt. The New World also relied heavily on this family for subsistence. That's why pumpkin is heavily associated with Thanksgiving.




No comments:

Post a Comment